Thursday, January 19, 2012

Why I Read.

 "We read to know that we are not alone." -C.S. Lewis

        When I was a younger Mo, I never appreciated the power of a book. When my family would go camping my mom would always read to us on the drive there and I would fall asleep every time. 
         Let me pause here and talk about my falling asleep problem so you fully understand what I am dealing with... I fall asleep everywhere. Watch a movie in the middle of the day? Guaranteed to be asleep before the title of the movie even appears. Teacher starts lecturing? There will be head bobbing. Yeah, I'm that girl that everyone points out to there friends in class and say, look how tired that girl is (You're welcome for providing you with entertainment so you don't fall asleep). 
          So it really wasn't that difficult to sleep on car rides, but this means I missed out on some prime reading experiences. Yes, I did sleep through Harry Potter... But my HP experience will have to wait for a whole other post. 
          The first experience I do remember with a book is The Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. It is a series of 13 books that take you on an adventure with 3 orphans who are moved from home to home and are followed by "a series of unfortunate events". Even though they were kind of depressing, I loved them. I would love going to Costco with my mom to get them every time they would come out. My mom would buy it and then let me write my name in it (this is still my favorite part of getting a new book).
           Since then I have found that my true love lies in the pages of the books I read. I can't wait to see what adventures I read in my next books. I also hope that you will share with me your experiences with books and help me find my next read. 
Enjoy. 
Mo Bridge
 

1 comment: